Friday, January 4, 2008

Keeping Tenney Memories Alive


Please accept my ongoing thanks to you for your support of The Tenney Quilt. The emails and phone calls continue, with many words of thanks for keeping Tenney’s memories alive, as well as the sharing of new Tenney stories and memories. I have begun efforts to spread the word across a wider swatch of Minnesota and the Midwest; I appeared on a Fargo radio show this week that was broadcast to NPR radio stations across North Dakota, northern Minnesota and Winnipeg. My book signings and events have moved eastward from the Tenney-Breckenridge-Fergus Falls-Wheaton area and are now increasing in my own area of central Minnesota. I am hoping to eventually schedule several events in the Twin Cities area. A listing of several of the currently-scheduled events is shown at the bottom of this blog page. I have now added a few quilt guilds to the list of audiences to which I am scheduled to give book talks. Keep checking back to this page as events are added.

I had a delightful email recently from Len Hardie, who now lives in Richfield, Minnesota, but grew up in our little Tenney. Len’s parents, Leonard and Opal Hardie, purchased the Larson Store from my grandfather, A.N. Larson, in 1948, and Len and his family moved into the home on the second floor of the store immediately after my grandmother and grandfather moved out. Len shared some of his memories of growing up in Tenney with sisters Marsha and Sherry, and also shared with me how gracious my grandfather was in smoothing the transition of the Larson Store to the Hardie family. I love to hear these stories. Thank you, Len!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi All
It was interesting to read about Leonard Hardie, It has been so many many years since I have seen any of the family.
My brother Duane has been staying in NE. with me. He became ill the middle of Dec. He is still in the hospital here in Sioux City. I enjoy coming to the computer and reading about the Tenney Quilt and the comments. Elaine

D "Oscar" Guenther said...

Goodness Heidi ! you certainly have been buisy, I suppose I can expect a few more people to come through town in the spring. On any given sunday (especially Easter and Memorial Day)I often see about20 cars or so, drive through town, looking to see what has changed, improved, or what needs to be attended to. It almost is like living in a snow globe. (Hey theres an Idea for the store!)Hopefully I will have the finishing touches on the city office done by then, and evrything cleaned, I will also have to find a new sign in book for evryone to add to, (the former Mayor wanted it as a souvenier or something) Well I am working on my sister Loris house (the former Kaptain house) I am going to see about puting new electric service in soon. Thanks again for evrything.

D. "Oscar" Guenther
City CLerk / Treasurer
Tenney MN "Minnesotas Smallest"

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get in touch with anyone who lives in Tenney. I have a photo of my great-grandparents standing in front of a house, possibly in Tenney. They lived there at some point between 1900 and 1910. I'd like to know if that is in fact their house in Tenney and whether or not the house still exists. Does anyone know if the mayor there has an email address so I can contact him? If anyone in Tenney has email access I would love to hear from you. Please write me at mike@mikelow.com. Thanks!